Saturday, May 26, 2012

MAC Cremesheen Lip Glass vs. Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss

As a gloss addict, it's kind of funny that I've never tried Bobbi Brown. A few weeks ago I read a comment online somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where) about someone who absolutely couldn't live without their Bobbi Brown lip gloss. It totally piqued my curiosity, so I ended up running to the nearest counter and picking up a tube.  To make it more fun, I decided to make it all about neutrals and to pick a close-as-possible shade in a similar finish in my tried and true MAC lip glass.

So, here are the contenders:

Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss in Pink Beige, $22.00

MAC Cremesheen Lip Glass in Deelight, $19.50


The challenger, Bobbi Brown had a great color pay-off - even in this lighter toned neutral peachy pink. It also wears well, lasting for hours, though not through eating or drinking, of course. The only down sides are the moderately sticky feel and the fact that it made my lips tingle a bit in a not too comfortable sort of way. It's important for you to note, however, that my lips tend to be a bit persnickety and can be easily irritated so this may not be your experience at all. Maybe it's just me as well, but the applicator of this gloss is what I call "stingy." The sponge tip is small and tight and the wiper inside the tube works a little too well because it takes several dips to get enough product for a complete application. One last tiny complaint - the smell - there's something weird about it - almost like a big pink eraser or some paste? That one could just be my nose, but I wanted to mention it anyway. I find things like that bothersome, do you?

Ok, on to the reigning champ (I say that only because it's the brand I'm more familiar with), MAC Cremesheen Lip Glass in Deelight. The company calls this shade a "mid tone neutral" and I see a slightly plummy-er base than the Bobbi Brown whose base is more peachy. Overall I'd call it a warm pinky rose brown - a super wearable everyday shade for fair to medium complexions. Even though it's a gloss, the Cremesheen line manages to put the kibosh on stickiness altogether which makes it very comfortable to wear. Speaking of wear, it will last on your lips for hours, but not through eating and drinking. And, just like the Bobbi Brown, the color pay off is amazing - made slightly better by the ease of generous application.  Unlike the Bobbi Brown, this applicator is soft and plushy and draws out plenty of product for an easy, one swipe application. There is some sort of barely noticeable scent, but you can't even smell it after you've applied it and that's a good thing in my book. Another plus is that this gloss stays put and doesn't bleed into fine lines at all whereas the Bobbi Brown had a tendency to get a bit cakey around the edges after several hours.

Bottom line: Both brands offer high quality glosses with excellent color pay off. For my personal taste, the MAC Cremesheen Lip Glass edges out the competition because of the superior applicator and better feel on the lips.


Do you have a favorite among these two brands? Other brands? I'd love to hear your picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment